VIRTUAL Build Green Career Fair
Date: Wednesday, March 22, 2023 from 10am to 3pm
Location: ONLINE (RSVP to get Login Details)
The Virtual Build Green Career Fair introduces job seekers to companies offering entry level positions, such as construction workers, apprentices, professional, administrative and technical workers, sustainability consultants, project coordinators and project managers.
Employers will conduct interviews with work ready candidates who are Black, Indigenous, racialized, newcomers, women, and youth graduating from relevant programs.
You will have the opportunity to build relationships, network with contractors and unions, present your work experience, deliver your elevator pitch and get your resume critiqued.
You will also have the opportunity to learn more about climate change, green building standards and career paths from subject matter experts.
What is Green Construction? In practical terms, green building is a whole-systems-approach to building that includes:
- Designing for livable communities – e.g., LRT/Public Transit, Affordable Housing
- Using sun and site to the building's advantage for natural heating, cooling, and daylighting
- Landscaping with native, drought-resistant plants and water-efficient practices
- Building quality, durable structures
- Reducing and recycling construction and demolition waste
- Insulating well and ventilating appropriately
- Incorporating durable, salvaged, recycled, and sustainably harvested materials
- Using healthy products and building practices
- Using energy-efficient and water-saving appliances, fixtures and technologies
(adapted from https://www.louisianalandcan.org/article/The-five-principles-of-green-building/868)